Saturday, January 23, 2010

Abortion: My only reason to consider.

In the event a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, her choice to have an abortion, to me is justifiable. The moment she was raped her choice was taken from her. On the other hand I have the upmost respect for the women who decide to keep their child. I personally knew a woman who had conceived by rape and she chose to keep her son and she loves him very much and accepted what had happened but I personally would not be able to handle having a constant reminder. I know it may sounds harsh referring to a child as a constant reminder but I’d be afraid that s what I would see when I looked at my child and I would in no way want to cause my child any emotional damage.
There are no other justifiable reasons to consider abortion. If we simply don’t have any desire wanting to get pregnant, there are so many products available to us women to help delay having a child or we can simply abstain from having sex all together. Abortion makes it easier for us to not have to accept responsibility for our actions. I know firsthand what it’s like accepting responsibilities for your actions; I had my first child when I was a child myself.
I know not everyone is going to agree with what I wrote but I’m acceptable of others opinions which might help me look at this topic in a different way. So please don’t hesitate to say how you feel.

6 comments:

  1. I’ve never been too sure of where I stand on abortion. To me it’s one of those things that one never knows until they live it. One may be sure she would never get an abortion until one day she finds out she’s pregnant and decides not to continue the pregnancy for whatever reason, vice versa. I think everyone should have a choice, especially in rape cases. I also agree that some people should be more responsible. If they don’t want children, they should look into the many different methods of birth control instead of risking it and then ending up choosing abortion, mainly because they were irresponsible. I’m sure that rape is a very traumatic experience, and some women can live with keeping a child conceived from rape and others might not. It’s all up to the person. I would suggest adoption but that can also be very traumatic. Like I said, one never really knows, but I do agree with you on this one. Opinions can change with experience though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire abortion issue sometimes makes me sick. It has become so politicized and polarized many people do not even seem to know what the points they are arguing even mean. As I see it, It's a private matter for the parties involved.

    One thing that has always interested me is the fact that a man has practically no say. I have a friend who accidentally got a women pregnant and she terminated the pregnancy. This was after he said he would raise the child on his own if she didn't want it. Where was his choice for his child?

    Conversely, what if a man has no desire for the child and wished for the woman to abort? He cannot force her too but he also is financially responsible for the child if she decides to have it. Why is it not possible for him to petition for an abortion or no legal responsibilities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have me speechless, I wouldn't even know where to begin on this one, but it's a very good point. I never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew what I would do if anything like that happened to me, but one day on the news I heard a womens story and it made it all clear to me. If anything like that would happen I believe I would get an abortion. I wouldn't get an abortion if I was to young, or just didn't want the kid. The only reason I'd ever stand next to abortion is for a raped victim. I do believe in pro-life. Everyone deserves their chance to live.
    It is very sad I understand to have a baby at a young age or any age and give it up for adoption. I would rather see a happy family get the child they could never have, then two families be upset by an abortion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abortion opens up so many issues and that is why I believe in freedom of choice. No one can ever really put themselves totally in someone elses shoes. To truely know what they are struggling with is impossible to guess or know. I do believe fathers should have more rights but even that raises issues. Should a rapist have those same rights? I do feel that a father should not have to pay for an unwanted child but again wouln't all men claim they are unwanted just so they didn't have to pay. An then theres adoption, truely the greatest gift you can give somebody is a child. But it to comes with many struggles. It takes incrediably strong people to give a baby up for adoption, these people I praise.
    I believe in a world where we are so aware of the risks of not having safe sex and the protect available to prevent pregnacy that having an abortion for any other reason then rape is unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though rape is the utmost deplorable act to have ever been conceived by mankind, possibly just short of genocide, it is still not a reason to deny someone's life.

    That child has the opportunity to become anyone and do anything. He/She could be the next Albert Einstein, cure cancer, or even just save one person's life when they're 24 years old. No one knows the potential of a living being.

    I personally believe that any violent sexual act should be met with extreme corporal punishment, to include, but not limited to, castration. It's hard to rape someone as a eunuch. But a child should not be punished for someone else's actions, just as I am not responsible for my father's actions before me.

    There are plenty of loving families who cannot have children looking to adopt. I cannot imagine the emotional conflict one can go through under those circumstances, but maybe an alternative approach could help the mother through the difficult time.

    Hell, she can call me anytime and I'll drive around the country just to talk and help the mother if it'd save one child's life.

    But I digress.

    This is an argument that will never be won, and the only loss, in my humble opinion, is the loss of life.

    Kudos on bringing this topic up on the first post, I tried to go lite lol.

    ReplyDelete